Sunday, February 7, 2010

Pope Benedict encourages priests to blog!


The words that surround the main dome of St. Peter's Basilica relay the words that Christ said to Simon Peter when he gave him the "keys to the kingdom". "And I say to you, you are Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church, and the gates of the netherworld shall not prevail against it." (Matthew 16:18)

We Catholics believe that the Pope is the successor to St. Peter - the Vicar of Christ on earth. Although he does not always speak "Ex Cathedra" ("from the chair" which would mean that his teaching is infallible), we do take what he says very seriously.

Recently, Pope Benedict XVI issued a proclamation challenging priests "to proclaim the Gospel by employing the latest generation of audiovisual resources (images, videos, animated features, blogs, websites) which, alongside traditional means, can open up broad new vistas for dialogue, evangelization and catechesis."

This is not a new area for the Holy Father. Just last year he joined the you tube generation and began a you tube channel: http://www.youtube.com/vatican. He also used text messaging to reach hundreds of thousand of youth at Youth World Day 2008 in Sydney.



Although my time has been extremely limited these days, and I have missed many days of posting on Monastery Daily Photo, I am deeply encouraged by the Holy Father's support of my blogging. I hope, in the very near future, to be able to return to regular posting. Thanks for sticking with me.

Viva Papa Benedicto!